MINIMIZING BIOSECURITY RISKS
As we see reports of the highly pathogenic H5N1 we have tips for decreasing your biosecurity risk on your farm.
- Have dedicated non-porous boots for your barn.
- If visiting a different farm wear booties or disinfect boots before going back into your barn.
- Have dedicated clothing (coveralls) for the barn.
- Don’t wear your barn clothes or boots off your farm.
- Personal hygiene – Wear gloves and wash hands after being in your barn.
- Limit contact with feces.
- Dedicate storage containers and equipment for feed and feces.
- Dedicate a drop off area for deliveries.
- Transportation vehicles should be clean, disinfected and if traveling between farms.
- Proper storage and disposal of used consumable items.
- Observing self-quarantine if highly contagious diseases are suspected.
- Contact your veterinarian if you suspect an illness.
For poultry specific tips have a look at this announcement from Feather Board Command Centre https://www.fbcc.ca/file.aspx?id=624e56a9-eaca-4ca5-a8c5-9ea5f33b95d6